Friday 22 March 2013

Travelling Tips for Eating Healthy..Learn from My Mistakes!




So I have now safely arrived back on the Mainland, and have begun my Whirlwind Tour of Ontario, visiting many friends and family in Southern-Ontario while here.  My last few days in Nfld were bustling with packing the last few items, signing over our vehicle, mailing things back to my In-Laws, etc, etc.  One of the things I had meant to get too but unfortunately fell through the cracks L was popping into my Local Bulk Barn to pick up some travel-friendly, healthy snack-age for my day-long trip from St. John’s, Nfld to Grey County, Ontario (roughly half way between Orangeville and Owen Sound).  This sadly didn’t happen because I just flat ran out of time the day before my departure and left very early on Tuesday morning, leaving no time for that “quick stop on the way to the airport” Bulk Barn trip.  Not making that shopping trip a priority  lead me to feel tired, unsatisfied and generally icky for the better part of my Tuesday or Trip Day (which included 7 hrs on a plane, then a cab, train, bus and car ride to get to my final destination). So I have included for you below “Jess’s Travel Tips for Healthy Eating!” so that the next time you are travelling (whether around the bay to Grandma’s house or on a 26-hour flight to Hanoi) you will arrive feeling refreshed, energized and ready for your next Adventure!

Jess’s Travel Tips for Healthy Eating!
1   
   Make Eating Well while Travelling a Priority - (after reading my above post this may seem like a no brainer) Before travelling make an effort to think about the Journey ahead and pack a few healthy snacks for the trip **Especially if you are Vegetarian, Vegan or have any Diet Restrictions as planes, trains and rest-stop fare may not meet your needs. Some examples of Healthy Easy-to-Pack Snacks are Trail Mix, Dehydrated Fruit, Raw Almonds, Homemade Granola Bars, and I am sure you can think of more ideas too!
2.     Always ALWAYS Remember your Water Bottle – I cannot stress this enough!  Whether you are travelling by car, plane, train or bus the air tends to get very dry and sucks the moisture right out of your skin.  Our skin is the largest organ of the body, so if it feels parched you can only imagine what your other organs are going through!  Also by bringing your own water bottle you are more likely to drink regularly from it throughout your trip, which is not only good for your body (aids in hydration and digestion) but also has a positive impact on your pocket book and the environment too (no need to purchase bottled water for you!).  No matter what I have on the go during the day I never leave Home without my reusable water bottle, it’s a great habit to adopt not only for travel, but the everyday!
3.   Shop Around - When mealtime hits and you find yourself stopped at a Restaurant/Food Court/Chip Truck at the side of the road, take a few minutes and shop your options to find something to eat that is not only Nutritious but Satisfying too!  By taking that few extra minutes (even if you are like me and your stomach has taken over your brain and is crying out for you to fill it as quickly as possible with whatever you can get your hands on) you will usually find healthier items/combinations than if you just automatically ordered what you would normally have when eating at that establishment or choosing the food court stall you eat at most frequently.  Who knows there could be Delectable Quinoa Salad around the next shelf corner which would fuel you so much more completely than those greasy French fries, and all you have to do is look. 
4.   It Doesn’t Hurt to Ask – If you find yourself at a Restaurant/Other Eating Establishment that doesn’t offer many Healthy options or perhaps you are like me and have a Dietary Restriction, don’t be afraid to ask if the cook can whip you up something which isn’t on the menu (like a yummy vegan stir fry!) or ask to have an extra side of veggies or a salad instead of your fries.  Remember you should have at least 1 serving of veggies with every meal, not just when its’ convenient! ;)

These are just a few tips that have been reaffirmed for me in this first leg of my Journey to Bali.  How do you make sure you eat well when travelling?  Please share your comments and experiences below!

Stay tuned for my next blog post on my experience at the Toronto Yoga Show and Conference, taking a quick break at the Show now to write this post and looking forward to sharing my experiences with you all in the next few days!

Eat Healthy, Be Happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment